Friday 1 May 2015

Embraced by Grey

     O.K.  Is it Grey or is it Gray.  The colour I mean, seems we spell it differently if we are English or American and I guess we Canadians just get mixed up in the middle.  That is the name of my quilt that I entered in to the  local quilt show as part of the Modern Group display.




     It's a wall hanging 20" by 30" but here it is lying on the floor.  The modern small group in my guild decided that we would all make a smallish wall hanging with the common element being the use of grey fabric.  Our small group has been  meeting for just over a year .  We are still getting our feet wet trying modern techniques.  I used the pentagon impov technique from 15 minutes of play by Victoria Findley Wolf .  It was a lot of fun using up some of my grey scraps.  I started out with closely set straight line quilting but the quilt was shifting a lot and I hated it so I picked it all out and opted for minimal quilting following the angular lines of the piecing.  Maybe I should have done more quilting but the deadline was looming so I decided to just finish it.

     I did most of the improv quilting during the winter.  I've always had a hard time in winter when the sky is grey .  This winter as I was piecing the grey scraps around the bright centres I realized that I could look for the light within the grey and perhaps change my attitude about the greyness of winter.  It seemed to work.  Whenever I felt oppressed by grey I shifted my thoughts to feel embraced by grey.  I'm hoping I will be reminded of this when I look at the wall hanging in future winters.  I'm sharing this finish at TGIFF which Laura is hosting at Quokka Quilts.

7 comments:

Iris said...

Hi Lisa, I think it is gorgeous! It is very inspirational and a great way to use up some scraps! Thank you for sharing

Jayne said...

Its a wonderful mini! I get mixed up on the spelling of Gray or Grey too! I'm not sure there is a right or wrong one!

Pamela said...

Very nice! I write "grey".

Lisa J. said...

Thank you Iris. I'm glad you like it.

Ruth said...

It's been explained to me that grey is the colour, Gray is a surname but to be fair either works! Love the pops of colour in this, especially the yellow centre!

Lara B. said...

A very lovely improv quilt Lisa. And I like the thoughts behind it and what the bright centers symbolize to you. Grey or Gray? I never know, and use both freely.

Lisa J. said...

Thanks for all your comments.