Monday 9 November 2015

Close But No Cigar

     Well there is nothing like a linky party to keep you pushing along to the end.  I've been working like a demon to get the Dog Gone Cute quilt done...and I didn't quite do it.  As my dear departed father would have said "Close but no Cigar".
But I'm linking up anyhow with my almost finished Dog Gone Cute quilt.  Here she is.



     All completed except for sewing down the last two sides of of binding.  I took the photos at 7:30 am on my frosty back porch wearing my pj's and a sweat shirt.  If my neighbours don't already think I'm nuts I'm pretty sure this will do it.

     I know that my quilt looks quite a bit like the other quilts in the link up but here's the exciting part.  I made this quilt for my first grandchild who will be born in March!  My son and his wife told us they were expecting pretty much at the same time that Lorna released her pattern and started the quilt along.  They both love dog's so I knew that I had to make this for them.



     The pups are made of scraps and the background fabric is Kaufman's Quilters Linen that I had in my stash. If any of you saw this little orange pup before you can see that I performed dental surgery on her before completing the quilt.
I was aiming for gender neutral in the choice of fabrics and I now know that the baby is a boy.

     What I love about this pattern is that the pups are all slightly different and I when I was putting together I could imagine spending time with my grandson counting the puppies and looking for similarities and differences.  The backing fabric is What a World  by Jill McDonald of P&B textiles.  I managed to get yards and yards of this on sale about a year ago.  It's a great print for sparking imagination.



   The binding is Modern Home a Monaluna design.  I bought the last scrap which was just enough to bind the quilt. It's a great little print and I'm wishing I bought more of it when it was current.



    As time was running out before the link up I opted for the wavy line walking foot quilting that Lorna used on her sample. I like how it looks and I'm sure I'll be using this type of quilting on future comfort quilts.

       My puppies were the smaller size, and I put lot's of negative space around each of them.  The quilt finishes at a small lap size 45 inches by 57 inches.  I'm joining up to the linky party at Sew Fresh Quilts. and if you want to get in on the voting go here  Thanks Lorna it's been lots of fun!  

13 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Congratulations, grandma! I can definitely envision hours of fun with this quilt and your grandchild. It might not be 100% finished for the link up, but you are way ahead of the game for gifting this to the parents-to-be. :)

Gina said...

Congratulations on the new arrival to be. I love your version of the pups. they are so cute. I'm sure this will be well loved for years xxx

Béa said...

Very beautiful quilt and colors. Exactly like you, I quilt it at the last time with wavy lines...

Tish Stemple said...

Congrats on your first grandchild and your pretty darn close finish! And don't feel bad, I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm crazy too.

Pamela said...

Congratulations on the grandbaby to come. Adorable quilt!

Chantal said...

I ♥ your puppies. I voted for you. Good luck. ;^)

KathleenD said...

Your puppies are adorable! I'm so happy for you that you'll be having a grandbaby to love this quilt for years to come!

Carol Swift said...

I love the darker background on those sweet pups! My neighbors think I'm nuts, too...it's a blogger's thing! LOL

Kaja said...

Congratulations - you must be so excited! I'm sure your grandson-to-be will love this.

Marle said...

I love your colourful puppies!

Ruth said...

Congratulations! This is a beautiful gift for him!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Your dogs look great. Congratulations on the new grandchild.

Cheryl said...

Your doggies are adorable!. Congratulations on the new grandson.