Thursday 7 April 2016

Throwback Thursday

     My aunt has figured a lot in my blog posts over the last while so I though it made sense to feature this quilt that I made for her in my Throwback Thursday post this month.  My family has done a fair bit of cleaning in her apartment  this last while, as it had gotten beyond her abilities.  Dwight and I brought home some laundry including her quilt which I made for her a few years ago.  This is probably the first "modern" quilt I made.



      My aunt is now 87 so she was in her early 80's when I made the quilt for her.  I know that when I made it, people were expecting that I would have made a flowery quilt for her because of her age.  But I have always thought of her as being more of a modern person.  When she was younger she was an editor of social justice themed newsletters, and I have memories of her taking me to the area where the  "Beat Nicks" hung out when I was a kid.



          The pattern is City Bank from Cherrie House's book City Quilts.  The original was done in reds but I chose blues and greens because blue is my aunt's favourite colour.  The quilting is straight line quilting with a walking foot echoing the black lines and the edge of each block.  This was the first quilt I enjoyed quilting.  Up until this point all my quilting was done in the ditch. I'm still not crazy about in the ditch quilting.

     I backed the quilt with this beautiful Jason Yenter  fabric.  I still love the deep blues of this fabric.  I bound it in solid black.


     This weekend we will be preparing the apartment for my aunts return so I'll be bringing it back there.  We are hoping she will be able to cope on her own again, with supports, as that is what her wish is.  At this point there is no release date set but she is making progress so it shouldn't be far off.  I'll be away from home Thursday morning so I'll join the Throwback Thursday linkup, at Quarter Inch From the Edge later in the day. 

16 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Such great colors! It is a beautiful graphic quilt.

the zen quilter said...

I really like this piece, and I agree that just because a person is an octogenarian doesn't mean they aren't cool - my grandmother wore ear cuffs and tube tops when she was in her eighties - and she looked good! I plan to be myself even when I'm ninety - and let me tell you - I am way cool - or so I keep telling my nineteen year old son, anyway.

Tish Stemple said...

I love this quilt. The colors are beautiful. I'm sure your aunt will be glad to get home and to have her quilt. Why is it that everyone just assumes because you are a certain age that you must love certain things or styles? Drives me crazy.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

lovely quilt Lisa. And long may your aunt enjoy it and her apartment. My aunt died last week at 94 yrs, but she really lived her life, particularly over the last 25 years. One of life's true eccentrics and much loved.

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

I dearly hope that your aunt makes a smooth return home. I'm sure having her undoubtedly much loved quilt will help! I've admired that pattern many times (I have the book)... one day I'll make it. Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

I love your version in blues. This pattern is on my wish list, but it got pushed down as I added more projects LOL. I hope things work out okay for your aunt.

JanineMarie said...

This is such a striking quilt, and I think it's neat that you made it modern for a woman in her 80's. I hope her return home goes well and that she can enjoy the quilt for a good long while yet.

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

I feel like I have seen this pattern before somewhere, it's such a simple yet lovely quilt! Love the blues in this one, so soothing and calm. I'm glad to hear your aunt is making progress and hopefully she will be back home soon!

Béa said...

Love your blue version, very beautiful.

Béa said...

Love your blue version, very beautiful.

Lorna McMahon said...

I love the colour palette of this quilt and it is quite striking with the black bars. So glad to hear your aunt is doing well and expected to be able to return to her own place soon. You and your family have been such a blessing to her in this time of need. Hugs to you, Lisa!!! Pass it on!

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

I really like the colors in this and even though it's a simple block, when put together like this it really creates great movement. Very fitting for a modern woman!

Linda said...

Love your quilt!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

This is a perfect qui,t to feature this Minho for Throwback Thursday. I love the City Quilts book, and the backing fabric is gorgeous. I hope your aunt has a smooth transition. I know you have been putting so much effort and care into helping her, and I hope having this quilt with her will continue to send her love when you are not there.

Ruth said...

I love the story of your young at heart inspiration for this quilt - it looks beautiful in the blues and vibrant pops of colour. Glad you aunt is making progress to come home.

June D said...

What wonderful quilt!