Sunday 4 March 2018

A Finish and PostCard from Sweden Update

     Last week I managed to finish this.



     It's a 12 l/2" mini quilt that I made for my co worker Erin.  The committee that organizes these kinds of things at my work was a little bit late in letting us know about our secret Valentine this year so that's why you are seeing a heart now.
It took me some time to settle on what to make her.  You see Erin is an master seamstress.  She taught herself how to sew from tutorials on the internet and she has made herself jeans and a all season coat.  For her secret valentine she made a dog coat.  So the pressure was on to make something good.
     I knew the colours she likes and I knew that she didn't like cutesy so when I saw the mini quilt designs on Carole Lyles Shaw's blog I figured it would be perfect, and it was.  She absolutely loved it , and she is going to hang it in her sewing room.




     I've also been working with these beautiful fabrics.  I'm playing along with Sandra of MMMQuilts and Helen of Midget Gem Quilts who are hosting a Postcard from Sweden QAL.  I ordered a kit of the Kona fat quarters from Mad About Patchwork.  So far the most exciting thing about this quilt along is getting to see 36 luscious Kona cotton colours up close and personal.  I have a colour card but it's not the same thing.  I'm really loving some of these colours.  The colour which had the most triangles in the quilt , peach is my least favourite colour, but I am thinking it is probably a colour which helps other colours to shine. Some of my favourite colours, Azalea, Breakers , Water and Capri, have the smallest number of Triangles.  I guess they will pop in the quilt.


     This is my system.  So far I've cut all the squares (I'm making the smaller size).  My plan is to cut the triangles as I need them and to construct the quilt by making the blocks for one row at a time and then construct that row. Thanks Louise for that tip. I have to move things around in my sewing room so much between my own projects and guild projects.  I think this approach is the only one in which I can keep my sanity.
I'm linking up with the PostCard from Sweden linkup and with Main Crush Monday, hosted by Beth from Cooking Up Quilts, but before I go I'll announce that the winner of my 4th Blogversary Give Away was Gayle of Pedal so Lightly.  I'll get your prize in the mail, within the week Gayle!




10 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Lovely mini and I'm so glad that Erin is excited to hang it in her sewing room. It sounds like you have a great system in place for your Postcards quilt along, and I hope that the colors do pop and glow just the way you describe. :)

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

That's a great mini. Good luck with the Postcards QAL. I like how you're going to make the HST's row by row.

Stitchin At Home said...

Love the mini and how nice that Erin loves it! One row at a time I like that idea, and hope it helps you keep your sanity.

Cheryl said...

Very nice mini! I really like the combo of prints and the echo quilting.

Sandra Walker said...

Wow, you rocked this one Lisa! She made her secret valentine a dog coat???? uh, wow..... And uh YEAH? on the favourite colours (you and I are spot on) being not so plentiful... Maybe I'll end up doing a Belfast Bulletin à la Helen if this one is too pinky-peachy! Thanks for linking up!

Sparkle On! with Abbie said...

Your mini quilt is beautiful, such wonderful fabric selections. It is no surprise your co-worker loved it. Wow, she can sew jeans!

Raewyn said...

I love the mini quilt, Lisa - I'm not surprised Erin loved it and it sounds like it was an apt gift for her. Very exciting to be starting a new QAL...a lovely pile of colourful fabrics. I was tempted by this one too but, once again, decided I really should sit on my hands!

Louise said...

What a great mini, Lisa! Definitely not a cutesy heart at all. Very modern and striking!

Your Postcards organization sounds just right, especially if you have to move things around a lot in your studio. Keep those Konas corralled! I think you're absolutely right about the peach letting the other colors shine. I've got my top all together, and the darker purples, teals and reds really pop. The peach and paler greens quietly play a supporting role.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Lisa, I really love your mini. Those are great fabrics. And I'm thrilled to hear about another Postcard from Sweden QAL since I never did finish it last year. I just might get it done this time :-)

Emily said...

What a great Valentine mini! I love that it is not fussy or pink at all and is therefore appropriate year round. Lucky coworker!